Distance Learning: Bronze Badge
Gliding and Soaring is a life long learning activity. These pages are designed to help you continue these activities.
Bronze Badge Study Guide - The SSA Bronze Badge program allows pilots to begin preparing for the challenges of cross-country soaring. This study guide is designed to allow the prospective Bronze Badge candidate to prepare for the written exam.
This page contains a large collection of questions generated by experts in the U.S. Soaring community. Each answer also contains a reference to allow you to delve more deeply into the question's topic. Understanding all the issues presented here will greatly aid you in passing the SSA Bronze Badge test.
Questions cover 7 subject areas that deal with the many aspects of planning and executing a cross-country flight. Using the form below you can select:
- a random set of 20 questions;
- a sequential set of 20 questions starting at a specified point; or
- a random set of 20 questions with a up to half of them coming from 1 of the 7 subject areas.
Please note: The references listed below the form were used in preparing these questions. You may want to have a copy of them handy when answering these questions.
- GFH – Glider Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-13A)
- Errata to GFH – Glider Flying Handbook Errata (corrects errors in FAA-H-8083-13A)
- PHAK – Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-25B)
- AC 00-6B – Advisory Circular 00-6B (Aviation Weather)
- SCL – Sectional Chart Legend https://skyvector.com/ (then select ‘Charts’ and click on a specific region to view an on-line version with the legend)
- FAR Part 91 – Federal Aviation Regulations Part 91
- FAR Part 61 – Federal Aviation Regulations Part 61
- AIM – Aeronautical Information Manual
- NTSB – National Transportation Safety Board
- Pilot Safety Brochure: Oxygen Equipment
- Pilot Safety Brochure: Use of Flaps
- Breaking the Apron Strings – Soaring Cross Country; Bob Wander’s Mentor Series; Phil Petmecky
- Glider Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge; Russell Holtz
- Flight Training Manual for Gliders; Russell Holtz
- Glider Flight Training Manual; Tom Knauff
- Advisory Circular 90-48D: Pilot's Role in Collision Avoidance (With Change 1):
- Off-Airport Landings; Kai Gertsen
- FAI Sporting Code
The SSF would especially like to thank Tom Knauff, Bernald Smith, and Robert Wander for their help in generating and proof reading these questions. Please report any problems or typos to the SSF webmaster.